Thursday, October 9, 2008

Update for Thursday…The Family has Finally Arrived


It was a very late night last night for all of us. Jill and the boys had their flight delayed in Los Angeles for 8 hours and finally arrived at 1:45am Kona time. We were al beat this morning and Jill and I will look forward to sleeping tonight.

Today was uneventful. I grabbed a mile swim and a 18 mile bike ride this morning just to keep everything working and flexible.

Getting ready for this event is very logistical in nature as I talked about yesterday. I have a picture (see pic.) of all the “stuff” I will eat, wear, or use during different facets of the race. I just looked at all of this stuff, and at first I wondered if I really needed everything and, yes, everything I had laid out is critical to the race.

I also have my bike dialed in very well (see pic.). It felt great this morning. Baring no problems on my final shake down ride in the morning, I will turn it into the bike transition area where I have to check it in at 12pm tomorrow for the race on Saturday.

Other than that we all just hung out and took it easy today. Stayed around Kona and let the boys get in the ocean in Kona at the start line (see pic).

Other than that we have a kick of banquet at 6pm tonight for all of us and then we also have the mandatory athletes meeting tonight at 8pm to go over all the critical information pertaining to the race. They will obviously cover all of the rules of the race, and as usual, they will have referees that cover the course very well, to include the ocean! Yes, they even have referees in scuba gear located at certain points to on the course to make sure there is no ankle grabbing, corner cuts or intentional contact between swimmers. Yep, that does happen.

Off to grab a shower and get over to the Banquet and athletes meeting (assuming I can stay awake… still have not adjusted to Kona time!)

No comments: