Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Getting back into training this week

It has felt good to get back into my full training schedule this week. Monday, I hit the swim and as most Monday’s, it was easy with a lot of drill work and broken up sets which aren’t very intense. For anyone trying to get faster in the swim remember drills, drills, drills, technique in the water will lead to the first big improvement in the water. So with that in mind I always (I should say my Coach always) incorporates drills on Mondays.

Today it was bike time. The mornings are the only time I really have to training so I had a 90 minute bike ride scheduled so I was on the bike at 5:30 in the morning. This meant that I had to ride on the bike trainer in my home gym due to the darkness at that time of day. In another 3 weeks, I will be outside on the road early in the morning because I’ll be able to get on the road at 6am and there will be enough light to ride at that time. I can’t wait. So this ride was a 30 mile ride and what do you do in your basement at 5:30 in the morning on your bike? Well, there are training tapes (Spinervals are the best) which has a coach taking you through a workout session which can last from 40 minutes to several hours depending on the time you need to get in and the intensity level. I can also watch TV or DVDS. To be honest, on this ride I watch the 25th anniversary of the Ironman race which was 2003. You can always pick up pointers watching these DVD’s.

No comments: