Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Good and Bad of Training Equipment!


Last two days I have had ups and downs. On the up side, my swimming on Wednesday. It was a good intense session. After warm-ups and drills I had 6 x 200 meter high intensity efforts followed up by drills and cool down. The coolest thing tough was a new toy I have, a Finis MP3 player. A friend of mine, Tim Dolan, turned me on to it and it’s awesome. It fits under the straps of your goggles and it sits on the bone structure in front of your ears. You can’t hear the music until you put your head under water and then it’s clear as a bell and you can really get fired up during the swims (and avoid the shear boredom)…and this system does not get in your way while swimming at any stroke or intensity…money well spent.

On the down side was running this morning. If you recall I had blister problems in the race 10 days ago. My feet got soggy with water, blisters formed, couldn’t run for a few days. Smart me, I found some great triathlon shoes from Zoot that are made to run in with no socks (I’m always sockless in races anyway) and they have holes in the sole to drain water (so I can dump water on my head in hot weather to keep cool). Well, I went out on a training run this morning, which was 6 miles with a lot of speed work. Shoes held up well for the first 3-4 miles and then BLISTERS! I should have worn socks!!! So now my feet are in pain and I have band-aids for blisters on my feet, and I have to re-access my running gear strategy. My thinking now is that I have to wear socks but, socks that do not retain water so they will work with the draining feature of the shoe. The last two weeks have been more problematic than the last 2 years. Stay tuned!

No comments: