Sunday, May 11, 2008

Going Long on the Weekend and Feeling the Energy Drain

The past 3 days were great training days. Friday was a good training day with FMS strength training and swim sessions.

You may be asking what FMS is, Functional Moment training is a series of strength training movements that do not involved weights and focus on core and total body strength training. I still will do strength training with weights on a weekly basis but on Friday, it was all about FMS.

The swim on Friday went well. 9 x 200 meters using a combination of all out swimming and for one 200 meter segment and then 200 meters using my fist…try it sometime…it’s very difficult swimming with your fist clenched but it really works on your balance in the water.

Then there’s the weekend, the long weekend. I haven’t really gotten to the real long weekends yet but I had a 40 mile bike ride on Saturday and a 7 mile run on Sunday.

The bike ride was interesting. I do the 40 mile bike ride from time to time on training now, but for some reason I went out too hard in the first hour and then caught up with some friends (Scott and Rob) in the second hour and rode with them for the second hour. After the second hour I really felt like I was a running out of energy. It really didn’t hit me until about 2:10 into the ride. So I will chalk it up to possible poor nutrition and/or just being run down from the previous week, or possibly starting out to hard, regardless I need to get dialed in and make sure this doesn’t happen again because getting tired at 40 miles Is not going to be too cool when I have 112 miles to ride.

One thing I do know is that I can’t push the bike ride hard like I have in the past if I am planning on lasting for more than 40 miles. The next few weeks in biking will be very interesting….I have never ridden over 50 miles on a bike I have always completed my ride at 40-45 in the past, I have always been about speed and not about endurance. It will be interesting.

No comments: