Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hurray! The First Hurdle is Cleared

I had spoke to my coach about my situation and he brought up a 70.3 race in Williamsburg, VA. It was 6 days after the deadline but he said give it a try and see if they will allow a 6 day grace period since this was a lottery ticket and most races are clsoed out.

So one last stab at this and out of frustration, I called Ironman directly and spoke to Jennette at Ironman USA who was the person who had e-mailed me and told me I had to race a qualifier before the Aug 31st deadline.

I explained to her that I could get into a race in Williamsburg, VA on Sept 6th (6 days past their deadline) that could act as my prequalification race. Through the conversation she continued to tell me no for 4 more times and finally after much pleading, begging and just thinking through this from a common sense approach she saw it my way. After all, I was just notified as a lottery winner and most all of these races are filled early in the year (Except in Lubbuck Texas and Rhode Island as I found out). April is just too late to get into the 1/2 ironman (or 70.3 races as they are now called) races as I found out quickly and I think she understood.


So now I had the head honcho backing me up (whom I will be forever grateful) with a promise that I call her from my cell phone when I cross the finish line in Williamburg, VA. that Saturday afternoon. You bet! I have her set up on speed dial already!!! All I have to do is race the 70.3 race in Virginia to now qualify.

No comments: